How would you know if you are risking the safety of your workmates, visitors, or even your friends and family? It’s easy to find out as we discover below.
Over time, electrical equipment can become unsafe. Old, worn electrical equipment can cause an electrical shock. Shocks can be lethal. Electrical shocks can happen several ways, including:
Employers have an obligation under the OHS Act to provide a safe workplace. To do this, they should identify possible hazards, assess any risks, and implement risk controls. Key responsibilities include:
In 2007, Australian swimmer Brooke Hanson, former world champion and Olympic gold medallist, suffered an electric shock after getting out of a swim spar at a Melbourne trade exhibition.
This incident ended her professional swimming career. Today, Brooke is a passionate advocate for electrical safety. Click here to read more.
Many electrical devices used in the workplace are also used at home. When it comes to testing for electrical safety it’s best to call in a professional. Experts use specialised equipment to make sure you are safe both at work, and at home.
Electrical safety tips:
Don’t take risks with electricity. Have your workplace and home tested regularly for electrical safety.